Friday, March 21, 2008

It Must BeTime to Bead

I just received this gorgeous cabochon from Vic. Of course I was instantly in the mood to pick up my beads and start beading. Before I get totally involved, however, I thought I would share some cabs I have done over the years.

In this picture one is a cab and the other two are buttons with the shank removed. The red and gold ones are the buttons.

Several years ago I posted in one of my Yahoo groups some steps in beading a cab so thought I would share that with all of you.


1. Using Fabri-Tac or E6000, glue a cabochon or button with a flat back (you can cut shanks off) to a piece of felt about an inch larger than the button. Only glue the center of the button and not around the edges. This will prevent you getting a needle through. Let this dry overnight.

2. Add a row of beads around the outside of the button. I thread on 5 beads, going back down through the felt angling toward the center of the button. Come back up at the 3rd. bead, putting thread through the 3, 4, & 5 bead and adding 5 more. Continue this step until you have circled the button. I used one color of bead on this row but that is optional.

3. Add a second row of beads around the outside of row 1 of bead following the same technique. You will cut the felt even with row 2 when that is complete so make sure your thread goes in at an angle toward the center of the button. Otherwise you will cut threads as you trim the felt away. On this row I alternated two colors.

4. Working with about 18" of beading thread, a color matching the beads if possible, bury your knot. The smaller the bead you use now, the more delicate the frill.

5. Put 3 beads on the needle, go down through the felt about one bead width away from where you came up with the needle. Turn the button over and put your needle up and through the last bead that you threaded on. Turn the button over and add 2 beads and follow the step above: put your needle down through the felt about one bead width away from where you came up, turn the button over and put your needle up and through the last bead. Turn the button over and add 2 more beads and repeat this process until you have circled the button. End with 2 beads, come up through the second bead and add one and go down through the very first bead where you started. Stabilize with a knot.

6. Bring your needle and thread up through the last bead. Notice how the beads form a step row: one up, one down, one up line around the button. On this row you will be going through the one up bead in each sequence. Add 3 beads then thread through the top bead of the step row. Repeat this around the entire circle.

7. If you choose you can knot off with the row or add one additional row for a fuller frill. If you add an additional row you will bring your needle and thread up through the last bead, add 3 beads then thread through the top bead of the previous step row. Repeat around the entire circle.
************
The cab on the right is a large metal button covered with fabric and them embellished with silk ribbon embroidery. I did the button but the beading was done by dear friend, Lynnis.

I was slowly drawn into trying more complicated patterns. The black velvet one below is one of those. It is also a large metal button covered with velvet and embellished with silk ribbon. I totally encased this one with a beaded picot stitch. Fairly easy to do but it certainly takes a long time.

I just had to have necklaces to match when I finished these cabochons so that called for more beading.

I love to collect old jewelry and take it apart saving some of the more beautiful stones to use in my beading.

My real love is crazy quilting and silk ribbon embroidery but beading is also very rewarding.

4 comments:

Judith said...

Barbara, your cabs are so beautiful and I really love the way your share your knowledge. Your instructions were invaluable to me when I started making them, thanks
Hugs
Judith

Leonie said...

Barbara:
Your beadwork compliments your ribbonwork exquisitely. You are such a clever girl! Your tutorial is excellent and I do hope that everyone appreciates you sharing your knowledge and talents. I know that I do.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Miss Vickie's cab.

Rengin Yazitas said...

Dear Barbara,
I appreciate your detailed explanations. Your instructions are always excellent...Thanks so much for sharing, I got the answers of all my questions related with cabs.
Much Love,
Rengin

Sandy Mickson said...

Barbara, I can't thank you enough for explaining in detail how to make your beautiful cabochons. I've wanted to learn to make them for a very long time. I'm overwhelm with your creativity and the beautiful work exhibited throughout your blog. Sincerely, Sandy