In January, 2007 I started the Paris wall hanging for my son, Jason. I knew whatever I did needed to be more masculine than my usual flowers so I was definitely "out of my box." I did have an idea, however, and began by drawing it on paper. A fiber tree would start in the bottom right block and end in the top left. One of twelve scenes from Paris snapshots would be reproduced on silk in sepia tones and placed on each block.
I pieced 12 blocks and drew my tree design. Now it was time to begin making my tree. One of my very favorite tools is the Diva Custom Cord maker. I selected the fibers I wanted to use plus one strand of beads for sparkle. Layout was important and leaving enough cord to continue the tree when the blocks were stitched together had to be taken into consideration.
With the trunk stitched in place it was time to begin attaching leaves. I dyed silk in three shades, cut out the leaves and burned the edges. What a great feeling it was to have all those little leaves stitched down. When the blocks were stitched together I knew I would need additional leaves so those were set aside.
Now for the embellishing...without flowers....almost an impossible task. In September, I put the finishing touches on each block and stitched them together. I attached the mitered borders, backed it in beautiful crushed velvet, and completed it by tying. I gave it to him when we visited in November. A special gift for a very special son.