Saturday, January 5, 2008

Today is Beading Day

Although crazy quilting and silk ribbon embroidery is my first love, I also enjoy beading. Who could resist all those bright and sparkling gems? For the past two years Jason has given me some beautiful cabochons for Christmas. Today I thought I would share some pictures of several.

This year he gave me this gorgeous stromatolite from England said to be 2 billion years old. Stromatolite is colonies of algae that are the earliest known living organisms in fossil record. Sometimes it's referred to as "landscape marble" because the algae colonies look like an outdoor landscape. The back is just as beautiful as the front which I found really unusual.


Last year he gave me a beautiful unakite jasper cabochon. I've made the 2-strand necklace pictured here. I've done a peyote stitch bezel around the stone. The necklace has fresh water pearls, Czech glass leaves and Swarovski crystals.


Many thanks to all of you who have welcomed me to the blogging world. I appreciate your kind words and compliments on my work. Specials thanks to my dear friends Julie, Judith and Allie for spreading the word through their blogs.

I'm enjoying my adventure and look forward to browsing through blogs on a daily basis. I love all the wonderful ideas and inspiration.

3 comments:

Victoria Adams Brown said...

Barbara, these pieces are treasures. Hope to see you wearing that amazing necklace!

Congrats on your blog! You have so much to share.
Love,
Vic

allie aller said...

Your work as a jewelry maker rivals those gorgeous roses, Barbara.
What great good taste you have...

Judith said...

Barbara, I love the way you have designed your blog with the beautiful photographs of your work down the side.Can I just ask a question about your roses? Do you burn the edges 1st and make the roses with individual petals or do you make the roses and then burn the edge of the petals?