Monday, January 21, 2008

Sharing our Love of Crazy Quilting & Fabric Art


I've definitely been in the mood to stitch and thought I would share some of the results. One of my most rewarding projects is working with Victoria Adams Brown and coordinating a yearly wall hanging. This began as an outgrowth of Vic's Way to Women's Wellness Foundation. It is our hope that our art will bring awareness to the issues of breast cancer. The projects are on display for a period of time and then presented to a clinic or research center.

It's such a joy to work with these wonderful crazy quilters and fabric artists from various locations around the world. We've developed a great friendship and love to share our joy of stitching with others.

Three years ago we did a wall hanging which was presented to the Arrington Cancer Center in Lubbock, TX. The above picture is one of the blocks I made for this wall hanging. We always suggest several colors to work with. In doing this we find our blocks always blend beautifully.


Last year we created another beautiful wall hanging. These are two blocks I made for that project. We suggested purples for this wall hanging and our theme was hearts.







We are now in the process of creating our third wall hanging. We've decided to use butterflies as our theme and work with yellows, peach, ecru and some periwinkle. I've pieced two blocks for this project and these are my bare blocks.

This one has the paper pattern for the butterfly I plan to use. I will use silk to cut out the wings and then applique those onto the block and then embellish. My picture is a little dark and doesn't show the true colors of the fabric.






The second one has a machine embroidered butterfly stitched by a friend. I always say the fun part is embellishing so I look forward to working on these two blocks.

If you would like to follow the progress of all the blocks please check our Flickr site. As our blocks are pieced we will post them along with the progress. We always enjoy watching the blocks evolve into a finished piece and ultimately the finished wall hanging.


One last project I've been working on is a neck purse for Connie James with Fibergoddess. I've placed my own name tag to show how it fits inside the plastic cover. I've used her Diva Custom Cordmaker and some of her beautiful fibers to make the strap.

No comments: